Monday, July 20, 2009

Sibling Rivalry: I don't think so!

My son has enjoyed our unrivalled attention all these years and many times, I used to wonder about whether he would ever be ready to share his parents with another. Even when we started planning for another child, I and my husband felt that sibling rivalry might be a big problem for us.

Then we came across a story-book for toddlers describing the changes that a household undergoes when the mother is pregnant and has a new baby. It addresses the issues head-on in an understanding manner with suggestions to overcome the issue. After hearing the story a few dozen times, I felt a change in my son’s behavior.

Now, he behaves in a more mature manner as if he is the elder and more responsible person. He plans for the fun and mischief he can do if he has company.

The other day I told him that it’s time he slept in another room as a new baby might sleep with us in sometime. I expected him to cry and fight with me for his right to sleep beside me. But surprisingly, he agreed that the new baby needs to sleep next to me but he said he wouldn't move to next room but daddy can do so! So, now he, I and the new baby can all sleep together. So, I guess there is not going to be any sibling rivalry though I think there may be a serious father-son one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...