Monday, July 18, 2011

Phon(y)ics!!!



Last week, I attended a phonics workshop in my son's school and I was in for quite a shock. They welcomed us with a printed sheet containing around 100 words and I thought, 'Sanju knows a few of these and he can surely master the rest before the year is over!' However, what a surprise to know that those 100 words were just for the month of August and there is much more to follow in the coming months!

Me and Sanju sit down to study nearly everyday and I have always prided on the fact (fiction, actually!) that Sanju is ahead of the class. But, sadly, that is not so. This wouldn't have troubled me so much if all the kids were sailing in the same boat. Again, that is not so. A handful of the class seem to absolutely smart and they could call out all the words from the sheet even before the teacher explains them. Not only that, they could spell out the current month 'July' and the day 'Friday'. I could have fainted!

Hmmm... I felt sad. Firstly, I never learnt phonics in my school days. Secondly, I am trying hard to teach the stuff to my clever son. Thirdly, I didn't do a very good job on how it was to be taught. It was all my fault that he wasn't among those handful of smart kids. (Thankfully, the third problem is solved now due to the workshop!)

Later, once sense started to prevail, I wondered how I too got caught in this competitive fast train! Why should my son be ahead of his class?

But as I typed that question above, I also wonder, 'I know he has it in him, isn't it wrong if I don't lead him to it?'

Gosh! It's tough being a mother! Somebody help me!


2 comments:

  1. Hey long time since you wrote. Good to see you back. Hmm tough question that one. I'm struggling with the smae issues. I guess it'll have to depend on Sanju and how he takes to your teaching. if he does he happily no problem... if he feels stressed or loses out on playtime it's a no no. He shouldn't feel awkward in class because he's behind the other kids.

    Oh and BTW his birthday ticker has expired;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tulika... Long time since we caught up! Love to catch comments on my blog!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...